Scott County was formed November 5, 1833 from parts of Crawford and Pope counties. The county was named for Andrew Scott, judge of the Superior Court of Arkansas Territory and a delegate to the state Constitutional Convention of 1836. The county seat is Waldron. The landscape of Scott County is rugged terrain to rolling terrain in the extreme northwest. The economic base of the county is timber, with 82 percent of the land area in timber, of which 62 percent is owned by the U.S. Forest Service and 20 percent is privately owned. Livestock and poultry production, along with food processing, also help make up the economic base. Three lakes — Lake Hinkle, Lake Waldron, and Square Rock Lake — offer fishing, swimming, camping and a variety of water recreation. Blythe’s Museum houses a collection of Native American artifacts and items from the city. Scenic Highway 71B winds down into Waldron, where the county park is located and offers swimming, tennis, softball, and Little League contests. Scott County is well known for its wholesome family entertainment of mountain music. The stately old courthouse, with mistletoe growing in the trees around the courthouse, houses early history of the county. The newer courthouse, built in 1996, is the seventh building to house the seat of county government in Scott County. Three of the seven courthouses were destroyed by fire. The population of Scott County is 9,836 (2020 Census).
Phone: (479) 207-2040
Mailing Address: 316 Featherston St., Waldron, 72958
Justices of the Peace
Bobby Hattabaugh, Melvin “Dee” Parker, Lenoard Russell, Linda L. Vaughn, Jamie Lynn Goff, Tommy Roberson, John E. Luttrell, Lance Stinson, Larry Russell