Johnson County was formed November 16, 1833, from Pope County and was named for Benjamin Johnson, one of Arkansas’ early jurists. The county seat of Clarksville was the location for the state’s first school for deaf children in 1851. It now is the site of the University of the Ozarks. The landscape is rugged terrain in the northern half and rolling farmlands, forested ridges, isolated mountains, and lakes in the southern half. The entire northern half of Johnson County is Ozark National Forest that has two wildlife management areas. Little and Big Piney Creeks in the northeast corner and White Rock in the northwest offer hunting, fishing, canoeing, hiking and camping. The southern half of the county is river valley farm country where peaches, cattle, vegetables, soybeans, and grains are grown. Diversified industry is scattered over the county. Johnson County has an annual Peach Festival that started back in 1936. Johnson County, with its mountains, rivers and forests, provides scenic beauty for every season. The population of Johnson County is 25,749 (2020 Census).
215 W. Main St.
Justices of the Peace
Mike Jacobs, Paula Ober, Van Alan Hill, Bethany Bean, Mike Estes, John Payne, Kris Muldoon, Katie Howard, Larry Jones, Jeremy Hatchett, Bryan Cooper