Garland County was formed on April 5, 1873, and was named for Augustus. H. Garland, governor of Arkansas, U.S. Senator, and President Glover Cleveland’s attorney general. Hot Springs, the county seat, has drawn visitors to the area for many years. The landscape of Garland County is rugged terrain and heavily forested Ouachita Mountains. In 1832, Hot Springs National Park became the first national reservation set aside for recreational purposes and is the only national park within a city. There are 47 springs along the base of the Hot Springs Mountain. The courthouse is the only one in Arkansas located in a national park. An act of the U.S. Congress was required to acquire part of the block where the courthouse stands. Recreation and tourism have always been mainstays of the county’s economy, along with livestock production and logging. One of the largest quartz crystal mining operations in North America is located in Garland County. The famous Oaklawn Park offers thoroughbred horse racing from February through April. Three lakes — Lake Ouachita, Lake Catherine and Lake Hamilton — all offer a full range of water sports and recreation facilities. The population of Garland County is 100,180 (2020 Census).
501 Ouachita St.
Hot Springs 71901
Phone: (501) 622-3638
Fax: (888) 868-7841
Mailing Address: 501 Ouachita Ave., Room 210, Hot Springs, 71901
Justices of the Peace
Micah Braughton, Thomas J. Anderson, Esther M. Dixon, Jimmy Young, Linda Bright, Ray Owen, Jr., Dayton Myers, Jason Braziel, Brian Peters, Debbie McGrew, Ronald T. Hunter, Jeremy W. Brown, Larry Raney