Cleburne County was created February 20, 1883, from parts of Independence, Van Buren, and White counties. It is named for Patrick R. Cleburne, an Arkansas major general of the Confederate Army. It was the 75th and last county formed in Arkansas. The county seat is Heber Springs. The landscape of the county is rugged: mountainous in the north to rugged, rolling terrain in the south. The Greers Ferry hydroelectric dam, a 40,000-acre reservoir, made way for a recreational boom that has steadily continued since 1963. Thousands of visitors visit this area each year. Fishing, boating, and hunting in the area are big. In Heber Springs, a 10-acre city park features seven mineral springs. The beautifully restored courthouse, which sits on the town square, is listed on the National Register of Historical Places. Industrial development, cattle and poultry farming, and tourism make up the economic base of the county. Fishing tournaments, conventions, reunions, and craft shows provide family entertainment for residents as well as visitors. The population of Cleburne County is 24,711 (2020 Census).
301 W. Main St.
Heber Springs 72543
Justices of the Peace
Brian Moorehead, Sam Henegar, Tim Caldwell, Linda Fletcher, Alan Malone, Chad Evans, Jacque Martin, Brent E. Foust, Charles “Chee” Tamburo, Rob Owens, Sampson Wildmon